Friday, December 23, 2011

HOW BOUT DEM TEXAS GEHLS!

For the last hour, I've been thinking about something very important. Is it ya'll or is it y'all? Grammar gods please guide me to the correct placement of the apostrophe. Rather, 2nd grade teacher, remind me of the rules. The word is a contraction of "you" and "all". At first, I think that it goes between the two- ya'll, like in "it's". But what about "don't"? Why isn't it "do'nt"? That's how I'm going to start writing. Ohhhh now I see that the apostrophe substitutes the absent letter. This makes more sense. It's probably y'all. One thing is for sure- I miss my Southern roommates! Last winter I was the odd ball from the nott-South. One of my other favorite Southerners is this guy. I can't figure out how to embed the video, so you'll just have to click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment